Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Psychology

of "Hoarding" is very interesting to me.

Gary and I watched the show "Hoarders" last night.
It is mind-boggling to see the absolute disaster
some people live in.
You wonder how they even function in life.
In the one we saw, the people were literally
climbing over boxes and junk to walk through a room.

I guess one reason I'm so interested in the subject is because I recognize in myself some "hoarding" tendencies. 

For instance, I will think:

If I find one great item, I may as well buy 10 of them.

I can't get rid of something because I spent 
good money on it and it is still good. 
(Even if I don't use it or even like it)

I can't get rid of something because it
meant something to someone I love. 

I want to buy every piece of fabric I like
because it would make a cute apron-- 
even though I have stacks of apron fabric
that I have not used yet.

I want a bag for every possible use that may ever come up.

If there is a paper or organization product on a good sale,
buy as many as you may ever use in your life.
(I love paper and organization stuff) 


Well,  I think you get the drift. 

In fact, this morning when I woke up, a dream I had was still very fresh in my mind.  In the dream Gary and I were at a store and they were having a great sale on baby outfits -- only $1.99.  Because it was such a deal and I could give them as gifts, I started putting all they had in my cart.   Gary was saying I didn't need to  buy them all, and I tried to explain to him what a good deal it was and that it would save money.  He convinced me I shouldn't buy them all, but I woke up feeling somewhat mad about that.  (I'm sure if I hadn't woken up from my dream that I would have gone back and bought them!)

Ironically, they say that hoarders are often perfectionists.  On the surface, that seems very contrary, but it does kind of make sense.  Perfectionists tend to procrastinate doing things because they want to make sure they do it right and don't want to make mistakes.   I can relate to that.  I could never live in the chaos the people on the show do. But, I do have sympathy for the emotional issues of parting with things and of wanting to collect more.   

But, don't worry that I'm going to turn into an old lady who has to be dug out of her house when she dies. (I couldn't live with dying like that)

4 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

The only thing you might hoard away are cupcakes and nobody I know will complain about tht.

allison nadauld said...

I think I am always fighting the urge to hoard. Love those flowers by the way, if someone didn't hoard all those scraps where would you be? I like to use the word 'thrifty' instead.

Tiffany said...

Ha, love it Mom. I've never thought of myself as a hoarder. But now that I am getting cereal for .10 cents a box--you should see my cupboards!!! But I like to think of it as food storage, not hoarding!

Unknown said...

I don't think I got the hoarding gene........but I am glad someone in the family does. I throw things away and then want them a year later......