Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Tree Street

Memories.

On Thursday night we went to a viewing for our friend, Doug's, mom.  It is hard to see that generation, our friend's parents, passing on.  Doug grew up on the Tree Streets like I did.  I suppose you can image why they were called Tree Streets -- Cedar, Elm, Cherry, Locust, Briar, Ash, Locust, Fir, Oak, Birch, Apple, etc.   It was a wonderful place to grow up.  We moved into our home on Cedar Avenue when I was in third grade, so that is where most of my childhood memories were made. 

At the viewing we visited with several other of our friends and old neighbors from the area.  We ran into the Weavers, who Dad had home taught for years.  They were very good to Mom and Dad and Mom and Dad were good to them.  They made it a point to tell me they still had their parrot.  When Dad first started being their home teacher, he went to the door and rang the doorbell.  He heard someone say "Come in."  So he went in.  No one came right out, so he sat down to wait for them to come into the room.  He waited a long time and still no one came into the room.  I don't know how long he sat there or how long it took him to realize that no one was home.   But eventually, after hearing the parrot talking, he realized that it was the parrot who had said "Come in."  He promptly left, but I guess he wasn't too embarrassed or he wouldn't have told the Weavers about it later and we wouldn't know the story. There is something else they reminded me of that I'll write about later. 

But, it's late, and I'm tired, and I'm also feeling sick with a cold and cough and sore throat.  Too much partying, I guess.   And speaking of parties, Happy Birthday to my son-in-law, Justin!  We wish we could be there to celebrate with you.  And speaking of birthdays, we went out for Duke's birthday after the viewing (even though it was a few days earlier).

2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

I love the parrot story. I never heard that, or had forgotten it. Get better soon.

allison nadauld said...

This story makes me want a parrot. That is pretty funny. Hope you feel better soon.