Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Buffalo on the Plains

When Misty and Tiffany were small, they would often give our family home evening lessons.  It was always interesting to see what they would come up with.

On one of those particular nights when Tiffany was about six, Misty had found a picture she thought would be fun to use for a visual aid.  It was a picture of an airplane.  So, she began her lesson by saying something to the effect of,  "I'm going to talk about pioneers.  They lived in a time before there were planes (shows the picture of the airplane)." 

At this point Tiffany piped in with, "There were airplanes back then."

 I corrected her and said, "No, they had not invented airplanes back then." 

She insisted that there had been and said that I had told her so. 

I tried to convince her that I would not have told her that because it was not true. 

She came back with, "But you said that back when the pioneers were alive,  there were buffalo on the planes (plains)." 

Well, she was right.  I probably had told her that there were buffalo on the plains.  I just didn't realize that when I said "plains" that she was visualizing "planes."  

I wish I were an artist and could draw what Tiffany was visualizing in her mind--An airplane filled with buffalo sitting in the seats.

You just never know what is going on in a child's mind.  And when they do tell you, it is usually a refreshingly funny light bulb moment!

3 comments:

Misty B. said...

I don't remember that. Thanks for the memory.

Tom Anderson said...

Annette, you need to speak with more clarity. You can be confusing sometimes.

Tiffany said...

I still have the visual in my mind! Except the buffalo were not in the seats, they were crowded in the aisles while the passengers were in the seats. That's the honest truth. I still remember it! Ha.