Crinkled Oranges

Monday, August 23, 2010

Life has been

so busy that I haven't really internalized the fact that my oldest brother, Gary, and his wife, Lynn, have moved here from California.  They bought a home in the riverbottoms, less than a mile from our home.  They aren't actually living there right now, because they are doing renovations before they move in.  They are staying with Lynn's sister in Highland until the house is ready.  I will love having them so close.  We went on a tour of the house tonight and went to dinner with them.  It is a big move for them, as they have lived in the Piedmont area of California more than 45 years.  

From the time I was 10 years old, the trip to California to visit them was the big event of the year for us.  Every summer that was our destination.  Later my brother, Tom, moved to Modesto, so we had two families to visit each summer.   I've thought about those trips often this summer as we took our road trips. Back in the 60's the cars did not have air conditioning (or at least ours didn't), and we would travel across the Nevada desert with the windows open.  The hot wind would take our breath away.   As uncomfortable as that may have been, I know that was a luxury compared to the mode of travel our ancestors used when they came across the country in covered wagons and handcarts.  I can't even imagine that.  Comparing that to the comfortable air-conditioned cars (with DVD players to entertain the kids) that we traveled in this summer--well there really is no comparison.

As I'm rambling, I've just remembered a funny family story . . .  Later.

No comments: