Crinkled Oranges

Monday, August 30, 2010

I know there

are many recipes out there for using zucchini, which always seems to be available in such abundance at this time of the year. I've never really branched out and tried many of them.  I think the reason for that is that I've found two uses for them that I love, and I use most of my zucchini for those.  The first one is a zucchini bread recipe that I've used for years.  The second is a "Roasted Zucchini and Tomato Pasta" that I saw on Martha Stewart.

Because I have a hard time not doubling, tripling, 4 times-ing (what is the word for that) a recipe, I'm usually making a lot of whatever I'm baking.  Saturday I 4x  the recipe and ended up with 7 dozen of these little loaves. (Thank goodness for my wonderful Convection Oven that can cook 6 dozen at a time).   As of tonight there are only 2 little loaves left.  Gary is sitting next to me right now eating one, or I would have said there were 3 left.  Don't worry, we didn't eat them all.


My Favorite Zucchini Bread Recipe 

Makes 2 large loaves.

3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups raw zucchini, shredded
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Add zucchini. Mix flour and other dry ingredients and add to mixture. Add nuts. Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans (each pan approximately 6 ice cream scoops each pan). Bake at 350 degrees for an hour. (Experiment with your oven, but I usually do 350 for 25 minutes, then turn down to 325 and let cook another 20 minutes) Let cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.

Notes: I usually substitute 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 cup of oil. This cuts fat and also makes it more moist. Cooking times for mini pans (2 1/2 x 4) 20 to 25 minutes Cooking times for small pans (3 ice cream scoops): 25 minutes at 350, 10 minutes at 325.

I'll post the Roasted Zucchini and Tomato Pasta when I make it next.  I've got a few more zucchinis that are just about ready to pick.

2 comments:

Misty B. said...

ok so i want the pasta recipe too. typing one handed while holding baby, lol

Gary said...

double, triple, quadruple... :-)