Crinkled Oranges

Monday, October 17, 2011

"Good, Better,

  and best."

My mind has been weighted down lately with thinking about how I use my time.  I am reminded often of the short scriptural account of Mary and Martha in the New Testament.
"Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word.  But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.  And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:  But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.  Luke 10:38-42
I can relate so well with Martha.  I do feel "careful and troubled" about many things.   But they are generally not the things of importance. (Things like, why did the cupcakes I made last night fall in the middle?).   In fact, I often think I fill my life up with busy work to avoid feeling overwhelmed with the needful things.  The better things.   But when I start thinking about all the needful things, the things that truly impact lives, I get overwhelmed with the "overwhelmingness" of it. 

Then I am reminded of the story of the man walking along the shore throwing starfish back into the sea.  He is questioned about what difference it made to throw one back into the sea, when there were so many more he did not save,  His answer to that was something to the effect of "Well, it made a difference to that one."

I think it gets back to my "all or nothing" mentality.  If I can't make it all better, then why try.  I hold back from giving or being a little involved, because then I will see more that needs to be done, and it will consume all of my time and thoughts.

Yes, I do feel careful and troubled.  But I'll work it out.  It's about balance, and priorities, and choosing the good part. 

2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Very insightful. I love the Mary and Martha story. It is all about balance. Neal Maxwell said:"Lack of balance can burn out discipleship" He loved to play tennis. I think it has something to do with Faith as well. Pres. Monson states: "Your future is as bright as your faith". It is a tough rope to walk.

Tiffany said...

I think I must be your daughter. :)