Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, October 27, 2011

This is my latest

culinary quest.  Making donuts in "Baby Cakes."   I first saw them demonstrated here:   Baby Cakes on Studio 5   I made the buttermilk ones that came with the machine and also tried the pumpkin spice recipe from the website.

 At my meeting last week,  I put them on the "cat," with the long tail for donuts, that dad made me many years ago.

I've got to figure out how to make the glaze or frosting so it hardens and doesn't make them soggy. 

 This week I tried them with my pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe.  They were the best yet.

 You just pour the batter in a Ziplock bag with a hole in one corner, pipe it into the mold, and cook them for 3 to 4 minutes. 


I went to DI yesterday looking for some cheap shelving for my pantry (anything to get away from the mess I was in).  I didn't find any shelving, but I did find an older version of a mini-donut maker for $3.  Next time I make them, I'll see if it works.  If it does, I'll be able to whip them out in no time with both of them. 

Here's my favorite Pumpkin Chip Muffin recipe (adjusting for the donuts by using small chocolate chips)

Pumpkin Muffins (18 muffins)

1 1/3 cup sugar
5 1/3 tablespoon shortening
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin ; canned
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
chocolate chips
5 1/3 tablespoon water ; hot

Cream sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add eggs and pumpkin. Add hot water. Sift together dry ingredients together and add to mixture. Add choc chips.  Spoon into muffin cups.

Bake at 375 to 400 degrees for 17-18 minutes.

No comments: