Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Among Friends

Last night we had a "mock" Caldecott Award event.   I knew that it was a book award, but didn't know that it is an award for illustrations in children's books published the previous year. Donna, who works at the Provo City Library, brought about 30 books that were eligible for the award. It was really interesting to learn how the whole judging process works. The official winner was announced earlier this week, but Donna had told us not to find out what the winner was beforehand.

It was fun as we sat in a circle and had 1 minute to look at each book and then make a note about it.  It is really hard to judge a book in 1 minute, but there were some definitely some illustration styles that appealed to me more than others.   We each voted for our top three, and then narrowed down, and voted again.  I'm glad I'm not really a judge, because it would be really hard to decide.  Our final winner was not the same as the official one, and in fact the winner didn't even make our first cut.

The reason I labeled this entry as "Among Friends," is because I was glad I was among friends.  As it began, I accidentally bumped the table that held the books that were standing upright in rows.  They went down in almost perfect domino style.  (In fact, I couldn't have placed them better if I had planned it.)  But I obviously hadn't planned it, and would have been very embarrassed, had I not been with friends.  As it was, we all laughed and moved on.    It's nice to feel that comfortable with people.          

No comments: