Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Encouragement


to be happy.

Usually I don't need to be encouraged, because I know how blessed I am. But sometimes it almost seems wrong to be happy when you know there are so many who are facing very difficult circumstances in their lives.

Tonight we had, for our Relief Society activity, a presentation by Kelly Ogden about his book, "Happy Like Jesus." He gave numerous examples of our leaders who constantly urge us to have a "brightness of hope." One of my favorite quotes is from President Hinckley: "Be believing, be happy, don't get discouraged. Things will work out.” He brought out the point that those who are happy, in spite of difficult circumstances, see the big picture. Well, there is no doubt that Jesus saw the whole picture.  When we are discouraged, we hang our heads down. He encouraged us to hold our heads up and to look upward. I like that, because just the act of lifting your head and looking up makes you feel better.

As I was putting away Christmas decorations (yeah, I got started!), I saw my two containers of "bee" stuff. I have quite a bit of "bee" and "hive" decorations. I had been thinking about how to decorate the refreshment table for our activity tonight, and when I saw the containers it triggered the idea to make use them for the centerpieces. "Bee Happy." A little cheesy, but since I have them I thought I would use them.

I love these little bee aprons on my apron girls. I took some dish clothes that Mom had made for me when we I got married (that were threadbare), and used pieces of them on the aprons.
 The little pin flower centers say "bee happy."
Then I had my beehive cake stands and beehive water dispenser.
I didn't use my beehive candle holder, or beehive tablecloth, or beehive birdhouse, or beehive pillow, 
but I did use my "Bee Happy" bowls. 

So, if you learn nothing else from reading this,
then please learn to "Bee Happy."

4 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

I agree. I think we are generally as happy as we chose to be. Like your projects too.

Tiffany said...

If I only lived closer I would never have to buy anything again--I could just come to your deep and borrow anything I needed for any possible project! You did a great job pulling the bee happy theme together! Love and miss you

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

I love it. The aprons are great. Sorry we missed you over Christmas, but it sounds like you had a great time. Hope to see you soon.

Misty B. said...

I second what Tiff said!