Crinkled Oranges

Friday, January 13, 2012

I'm not sure

if it's true or not, but David Letterman just said in his monologue that "Hostess" is going belly-up.  If it is true, then I am protesting.  That is un-American.  I grew up on Hostess cupcakes.  They were my guilty pleasure any time I was craving chocolate.  I remember stopping by the store just for them and a Coke. Great nutritional combination don't you think?  Sometimes I would pair them with milk to make it a little more nutritious. 

I haven't bought them much in recent years, since there have been more sophisticated choices.  Maybe I contributed to them going out of business because I stopped buying them so often.  But still. 

My Aunt Merlyn was addicted to Ding-Dongs.  In fact, at one of our Hall reunions we had a ding-dong eating contest in her honor.  I won.   If the rumor is true, then I am going to the store, buying some, and putting them in the freezer.  For a rainy day.  When I yearn for the good old days of hostess chocolate cupcakes, Twinkies, zingers, snowballs, and ding-dongs.

I guess I better check to make sure it's true.   It's too late to go to the store now, but first thing in the morning I'll be there.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sorry but it is true. I remember when we lived in Aunt Merlyn's basement I could not believe how many ding dongs she could put away in a day.

Misty B. said...

I still remember the drawer where she kept the ding-dongs. I only recall a few things about her house and that's one of them!

Tom Anderson said...

You better buy up now and put away for your 3 years supply. Must be a family trait as just last week I was going to reward myself for excecising and bought ding-dongs, still have some.

Tom Anderson said...

should be an "r" and not a "c", it is still early.

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

Annette-
Zingers are my hostess treat of choice. Tom, I also reward my exercise with hostess brand treats. My mom once told me they were made of plastic. I don't believe her.

Tiffany said...

I too remember Aunt Merlyn's ding dong drawer! I can still picture exactly where it is. Just like our kids will remember the candy store with exactness! Tonight we were watching the home videos from this Christmas and there was a part with the candy store and Ashton said "oh, I wish I could just be in the tv!"