Crinkled Oranges

Monday, February 6, 2012

Evil

Sometimes I have a hard time believing that people are evil.  If they are doing bad things, I usually think they are misguided, selfish, desperate, or a product of a bad environment.  

However, from the moment I first heard from Josh Powell, after the disappearance of his wife, I have despised him.  Every time I've seen him interviewed, I've told Gary how vehemently I dislike him.   Gary would agree, but would remind me that we really don't know that he killed his wife.  I could not give him the benefit of the doubt.  His story was so bizarre that it was obvious he was lying.  When his boys were taken away from him, I was ecstatic.   I couldn't imagine them living with him, especially after it was revealed what was going on in the home with the grandfather.  

Yesterday, when I heard that he had murdered his children and killed himself, I was heartsick.  Mostly for Susan's family and those who loved them.   That was one sick and evil man.  Today when I was out and about and saw children about the age of the boys, I felt such sadness.  My only consolation is that the boys are now outside his realm of influence and with their mother.  What a reunion that must have been.   I'm sure that gives the family some consolation, too.

So now I need to let it go and be glad that I'm not the ultimate judge.   But I'm still very sad. 

4 comments:

Chantel said...

I couldn't agree with you more. What a terrible thing....and absolutely evil. It's frightening, I think, to admit there is evil in our world--but there are moments it's undeniable too.

Unknown said...

I was going to write about this horrible tragedy in my blog, but you said it better than I could. I am heartsick for the boys and their grandparents.

Tom Anderson said...

I agree with you. I think that just as there is good there is also evil, and he is one of the latter. Good thing for him I am not the ultimate Judge, mercy would not trump justice for me. Very sad story.

Tiffany said...

The only consolation in the whole situation is that those boys are now with their mom. She was probably looking down worried sick for them and the life that was ahead of them. So heartbreaking for the rest of the family, but those boys are now taken care of.