Crinkled Oranges

Monday, February 27, 2012

Gary came home

Very late from baseball tryouts tonight. Have 1`mentioned that he Has started coaching baseball again this year after more than a 20 year layoff? With his technology assignments cut back, he decided he wanted to do something.

I,ve told him that I am fully supportive of it, on one condition -- that he cannot get kicked out of any games. That happened just a few too many times for my liking during our younger years.

I remember being mad and leaving a game he got kicked out of for arguing with the ref. The girls were just little, probably 5 and 3. Tiffany wondered why we were leaving and I told her the ref had kicked dad out of the game. She became very indignant and said that he could't do that to her dad, and she was going to go kick the ref. What I didn't explain was that he deserved to be kicked out of the game and that I was going to give him the silent treatment when he got home. I'm sure that was scarier to him than getting kicked out by a ref.

So, between baseball and my work and projects, life is busy. I am spending 2 to 3 hours on most days taking incoming orders, invoicing for others, and recording them all on a spreadsheet. I enjoy work like that and will really enjoy as I am involved in more events.

10 comments:

Misty B. said...

You forgot to mention the photo in the paper of him nose to nose with the umpire! They say girls marry men like their fathers. Well...a couple weeks ago Dan got an email from our districts AD asking him to sign a sportsmanship contract because the refs at Jackson's game complained about his comments to them. Now, his comments were not out of line, just loud(I was sitting next to him). And we have an overly cautious AD. Anyhow, I thought Dad would be proud! Sidenote: Dan didn't sign the contract!

Marci said...

I don't think I've ever seen that side of Uncle Gary, baseball must bring it out in him!

I am so glad you are enjoying your new job, it sounds like a perfect fit for you. I bet you are fabulous at it!

Tiffany said...

Ha! So many memories. Hopefully you won't have to give him the silent treatment this time around. But now that I'm a mom with young kids I can't believe you actually went to all his games anyways! I mean it's one thing when he's playing, but just coaching. ..that's a serious act of love!

Dan B said...

So maybe I shouldn't have used the refs first name to let him know he sucked!! People just aren't tuff anymore.
- by the way Grandpa (coach)Ashton, your 15 year old grandson was just clocked consistanly throwing 86-88 MPH. Any Timpview boys bringing it that fast?

Dan B said...

One last thing, there isn't a snowballs chance in @#%$ I'm going to the principals office at age 40 for detention:)

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

I love it, Annette. I am always so impressed by coaches' time and energy dedication. You'll have to let us know if 20 years ha tamed him. Glad to hear about the job, too. Please keep us updated. I check everyday :).

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

I love it, Annette. I am always so impressed by coaches' time and energy dedication. You'll have to let us know if 20 years ha tamed him. Glad to hear about the job, too. Please keep us updated. I check everyday :).

Tom Anderson said...

Very funny blog entry. Age is suppose to bring wisdom. Let's see how that works with Gary. And you, don't you know that the silent treatment only reinforces a man's poor conduct????? Try spending money or going on a strike from everything!!!

Gary said...

What Annette did not say is that she did more than the silent treatment. When I came home, after getting my tantrum captured by the Deseret News photographer, there was a note on the door. It read, "If you plan to act like that in the future, please let me know so I can leave the kids home." Well, needless to say, I turned around and went to my college study group's apartment to hangout while Annette cooled down. I'm sure there will be no more notes on the door. Promise! :-)

P.S. Dan, we can definitely use Jackson. Why don't you send him to live with us? Our best senior pitcher is throwing 75-79 MPH, tops.

Unknown said...

Everyone else said it all so well. It might be worth coming to a game to see this side of Gary.

I am so excited you love your work.

Let's get together.