Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, August 4, 2013

One of my favorite

new series is "Perception."  We've been catching up on back episodes.  We watched one that dealt with "Inattentive Blindness"    It has to do with our inability to see some things when we are so focused on other things.  When I search the definition,  it is:

Inattentional blindness is the failure to notice an unexpected stimulus that is in one's field of vision when other attention-demanding tasks are being performed. It is categorized as an attentional error and is not associated with any vision deficits . . .  Inattentional blindness also has an effect on people’s perception. There have been multiple experiments performed that demonstrate this phenomenon.  To test for inattentional blindness, researchers ask participants to complete a primary task while an unexpected stimulus is presented. Afterwards, researchers ask participants if they saw anything unusual during the primary task. The best-known study demonstrating inattentional blindness is the Invisible gorilla test . . . 

I have seen the video of the gorilla experiment before. In fact, I may have even blogged about it.  But If I did, I must have been focused on something else, because I don't remember if I did.  


See it here.


 (http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/videos.html) 


This is a fascinating topic to me. I think our perceptions of people or events are often skewed because we are looking for something else.  Two people can experience the same events and perceive it as very different ways.  


  



1 comment:

Tom Anderson said...

That is really interesting. The mind can do strange things.