Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The last

few days have been very full of varying activities.  I went to a tea party.  Not the political kind I've been reading about in the papers, but one of the European style.  It was so pleasant to be sitting outside (no snow, thankfully) enjoying the company of women, eating sandwiches and cakes, and hearing about quilts.  I'm not sure I will ever have the patience to quilt, but I am in awe of the intricacies of them.

Gary and Lynn are in town, and they wanted to stop by to see Maisel and Fred.  As I sat next to Gary and Lynn on one side and Maisel's sister, Kay, on the other, I had one of those moments of deep gratitude that comes from knowing that we are not alone in this life.   Having hands on each other's knees and holding them is a very natural and loving feeling in settings like that.  I have a vivid memory of sitting in the hospital next to Dad as he lay near death and non-responsive.  As I sat reading a book, I remember taking his hand, placing it on my knee, and holding it as I read.  It felt so natural and it was so comforting.  

Shortly after arriving home from the visit with Maisel, I got the call from Kay that Fred had passed away.  I'm glad he didn't have to linger too long.  His funeral is Saturday.

Today -- yoga, lunch bunch at Brick Oven, work, Costco, more work, and now I'm going to read the paper.   I'm feel so blessed with good friends and family.

2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

I am very sad about Fred. I liked him a lot. Please give the family my regards. I am happy you and Gary could be with him in his last hours. We do have a great family.

Misty B. said...

Please give my love to Maisel.