Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, January 6, 2011

I'm feeling

"foggy" in mind, body, and spirit right now. 

Yesterday I got the sad news that one of my club friends from high school, Mary, purposely overdosed on prescription medication.  Apparently she had carefully planned it out, written letters to her children,  and gotten her affairs in order.  She took care of our club funds, and even made arrangements to transfer the money to another friend.  

It is so heartbreaking.  It is mind-numbing.  She seemed to enjoy our trip to St. George in October, and we are all so grateful we got to spend that time with her.   She has been very open about her struggles with Bipolar disease, but she always put on a happy front.  She has been single for many years and was a successful attorney in family court matters.  She was always so funny and such a good sport.  I feel so for her children and family.  There is going to be a graveside on Saturday, and we friends are going to go to lunch together to honor her.

You never really know, do you, what is playing out in someones life?  I firmly believe that in situations like this, there is an element that is not in their control.  If it were, it would not happen.

I have so many fun pictures to share from Christmas.  I cannot think of a more perfect holiday week together than we had.  I feel so blessed.  And I feel so grateful that no one was hurt in the Bishop's accident on the way home.  

I just need to get out of this "foggy feeling."  I thought I was feeling well enough to start taking down Christmas, but the effort sapped me pretty quickly.  So I'm still in a mess, but I'm also remembering the joy I felt when we were all together for Christmas.  Pictures next post, I promise.    

5 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

So sad about your friend. Get better soon.

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

Annette-

Sorry to hear about your friend. Maybe you need a getaway to Wayne Co. It is sunny and warm down here and there is NOTHING to do (but burn flowers and sew).

Hope you get feeling better soon.
Angie

Nat said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. That is very sad news.
Feel better :(

Unknown said...

I am so sory about your friend. I also hope you feel better.

Linda Henrichsen said...

Oh Annette, I was so sorry to hear about Mary's death. 40 + years have passed, yet I still remember the first time I met Mary, and her wonderful laugh. I'm sad, and know how you feel. Please give my love and regards to all our friends tomorrow at lunch. I wish I was there to join you.
Love, Linda