Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Crockpot Crusade #2

I'm having so much fun with this challenge.It is making meal planning fun for me.  I find that I'm simplifying many of the recipes I'm trying, either because of preference or necessity (like I don't have the ingredients).  So the recipes I'm posting are the way I made them so I can remember what I did next time I make them.  I'm finding some recipes that I will definitely make again, others I definitely won't, and some that are a maybe.  These are the recipes (and pictures) of the ones I will make again.

Gone-All-Day Casserole
1 cup uncooked wild rice ; rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cans ; (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1 large onion ; chopped
1 garlic clove ; minced
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3 beef bouillon cubes
2 -1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
2 pounds boneless round steak ; cut into 1-inch cubes
3 cups water

Place ingredients in order listed in a 3-qt. slow cooker (do not stir). Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until rice is tender. Stir before serving.   Serves 10-12   (From Taste of Home)

I left the mushrooms and meat out, so Natalie could enjoy it,
but with the meat it would be a complete meal.


Despite their somewhat glum expressions for
the picture, they really did like this dish.

Crockpot Cashew Chicken

2 lbs boneless ; skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 clove garlic ; minced
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup cashews

Combine flour and pepper in resealable food storage bag. Add chicken. Shake to coat with flour mixture. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side. Place chicken in slow cooker. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl; pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours. Add cashews and stir. Server over rice.  (From 365 Days of Crockpot Cooking)

Crockpot Baked Beans

1 can (12 oz) Pinto beans
1 can (12 oz) Kidney beans
1 can (12 oz) Black beans
2/3 cup Barbecue sauce
2/3 cup Salsa
1/4 cup Brown sugar
2 drops Hot pepper sauce

Instructions:  Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Cook on high for 4 hours or 6 hours on low. Also good cold as a dip with tortilla chips (that's how we ate the leftovers during the BYU game)


Crockpot Chunky Applesauce

I used my apple peeler and slicer, which made preparation very easy.  I liked this just as well as a leftover.  It reminded me of home, when Mom would bottle chunky applesauce.  Dad and I would make toast, add butter and honey, and then put applesauce on top.  I thought of them as I did just that for lunch the next day.

8 large tart apples
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Water
1 teaspoon Cinnamon

Combine apples, sugar, water, and cinnamon in a slow cooker. Stir gently. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Serves 6.  (From Taste of Home)



Crockpot Glazed Carrots
1 1/2 lb baby carrots ; whole
1/4 c packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 c water
pinch of salt

Pour all ingredients into your crockpot and stir. Add lid and cook on high for 1 hour. Stir carrots and turn heat to low. Stir carrots once every hour and cook for a total time of 4 hours.  (I just cooked on low for the whole time, and it was fine.)

Crockpot Au Gratin Potatoes

Most recipes call for some type of cream soup, but I just made a white sauce and poured it over it.

6 Potatoes ; peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon Flour
1 tablespoon Butter
1/2 cup Milk
Salt ; to taste

Peel and slice potatoes. Place in crockpot. Make white sauce by melting butter, mixing in flour, and then slowly adding milk. Stir until thickened. Pour over potatoes. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.

Crockpot Beef  -- so far my favorite method for stew meat and round steak is to sprinkle it with a package of onion soup mix, pour in some water, and cook away.  On high for about 4 hours or low for about 6.

(Gary is a much better sport about allowing me to take pictures
of him eating than I would be)

No comments: