Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, September 12, 2010

I made A Couple

of new Cupcake recipes in honor of the harvest season.   Even though they are not chocolate, I like them both.  The top ones are peach and the bottom are zucchini.

 
Peach Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

My notes:  Because the muffin tins were almost full, I thought the cupcakes would overflow if I only made the 12 suggested,  So I filled 18 muffin tins.  However, they do not rise much, so I think next time I"ll  fill the cups to the top and make 15. I used 2 very ripe peaches. I would use less orange peel, as I thought it overpowered the peaches.

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (If I don't have unsalted butter, I just use regular and add less salt than the recipe calls for)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp grated orange zest (or less)
3/4 cup milk
2 peaches or nectarines, pitted and thinly sliced and cut into thirds

1. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and orange zest, beating well. Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of milk, beating until smooth. Fold in peaches or nectarines.
3. Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated over for 23-28 minutes or until golden brown and tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.

Cream Cheese Frosting HERE

ZUCCHINI CUPCAKES WITH
BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
Makes 24

3 eggs
1 1/3 cups Sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cups shredded zucchini

BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
My notes:  I added more powdered sugar thinking that it would not set up.  I would add a little more than the called for 2 cups, but not much.  It sets up more when it is cool.

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 -1/2 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice and extract. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchini.

Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

For frosting, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm.

Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes.

No comments: