Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fresh Peach Pie

I saw a fresh peach pie recipe demonstrated on "Studio 5" a few weeks ago.  I've wanted to try it.   On Friday, a neighbor brought us some peaches from their tree, so today was a perfect time to give it a shot.



Because the peaches are not cooked at all, it tastes really fresh.  However, I thought the lemon flavor was a little too strong and overpowered the peaches,  Next time I will use less lemon juice, or maybe leave the lemon juice out altogether and use this instead.

Fresh Peach Pie
¼ cup lemon juice (I would use much less or use "Fresh Fruit" instead)
3 cups fresh sliced peaches
1 cup sugar - divided
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons Butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon vanilla or almond flavoring (I prefer vanilla)

Method:
1. Toss the lemon juice and peaches with 1/2 cup sugar.
2. Allow the mix to macerate (set) for one hour in the refrigerator.
3. Drain fruit and save one cup of the juice. If there isn't 1 cup of juice, add enough water or juice to make 1 cup. (If I need to, can use peach nectar or apple juice.)
4. In a sauce pan melt butter and cornstarch to make a rough.
5. Add the juice, ½ cup sugar, salt, and flavoring.
6. With a wire whisk, blend until well mixed.
7. Bring to a boil stirring until thick.
8. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly; about 5-10 minutes.
9. Add the fruit and pour into a 10" cooked pie shell. Chill for 3 hours or overnight. 

3 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

That pie made my mouth water.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Looks yummy. I will send the recipe to Mary Jo. I think roux is spelled with an "x"

Tiffany said...

Mmmm, that looks so good. Wish I was there.