Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Heart Awareness Experiment

A few years ago I read the book, “A Heart like His.”  In the book, Virginia H. Pearce chronicles the experiences of a group of women who experimented with the simple concept of opening their hearts. To quote in the introduction,
“Because this experiment is more about becoming than doing, it is simple, doesn’t consume time, actually creates energy, and is therefore self-perpetuating. Although the suggestions are modest and quite easy to implement the outcomes could not be more profound, for we are, after all, in search of a new heart—a heart like His.”
I re-read the book several times last week.  We are using its concepts as the theme for our December Relief Society activity and encouraging everyone to take part in the experiment.    

There are 3 rules to the experiment:

  1. 1. Be more aware of the condition of our hearts, and with that awareness keep your heart more open toward others. 
  2. 2.  Do this in the encounters that are in the natural flow of our lives, in other words, don’t put extra activities into your day. 
  3.  3.  Notice how you feel, and be willing to honestly report what happened or didn’t happen.
This last week, I've thought a lot about those rules as I've tried to be aware of my heart.  In one part of the book, it has you look for "red flags" or "stumbling blocks" that stop you from having an open or soft heart. Stumbling blocks could be feeling hurried or busy.  They could be that you are afraid of being hurt, are self-conscious, too tired, fearful, or unforgiving.  

I'm becoming aware that one stumbling block for me is thinking, "It will take too much mental energy."  I was invited to two different events last week that I would liked to have begged out of.  I really had no good reason not to go, other than it made me tired thinking about the energy it would take to go and socialize.  Talking myself through that, and determining that I was closing my heart, I went to both of these events.  I left both events feeling better for having gone and interacting with others.  It seems silly and simple, really, but to consciously think through it was enlightening.  

This is kind of a hard concept to wrap your mind around.  A couple of quotes from the book that help me are these:  

"Opening one’s heart creates energy.  Closing one’s heart depletes energy."

"An open heart looks outward.  A closed heart looks inward."

PS  Ironically, Gary and I are watching the movie "Pay it Forward" right now.  It is a very sad movie.  I really wish it had a different ending.   But, the message is strong, and fits right into the "Awareness Experiment." 

The experiment continues . . . .. 
       

3 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I should have looked at your blog before I sent the bulletin--I could have included a link to it. I too wish that book/movie had a better ending. We have enough sad to last well past death. I can't wait to see what you have for us next week so we will have better/open/soft hearts. Thanks for all you do!

Tom Anderson said...

That was interesting. I know how you feel. I do not consider myself an introvert, but I do prefer to be around just a few friends rather than a group for the same reasons you state--too much required of me. We are social animals. But, time alone or with just a few is not a bad thing either. If our hearts are open we like all people, not just those who are like us or we feel comfortable with. Does our liking to be more alone mean we do not have an open heart?

Nat said...

I need to have an open heart for customers that I talk to at work...because right now...I do not love them :)