Crinkled Oranges

Monday, November 8, 2010

More "Heart Awareness"

thoughts.  Tom posed a good question in yesterday’s "Heart Experiment" blog.   "Does our liking to be more alone mean we do not have an open heart?"

Desiring and enjoying solitary time is definitely not being closed-hearted.  In fact, I think finding a contentment with aloneness is a blessing.  You can't do everything and please everyone.  That's why the second rule (opening your heart in the encounters that are already in the natural flow of our lives) is important.

If I had decided not to attend the events I was invited to (which are opportunities that come in the normal course of all our lives), I would not have been hard-hearted. (See previous blog entry if you are totally confused).   But by changing my attitude (another word for heart?), I opened myself up for new experiences, growth, and stronger relationships. It also opened up the possibility of supporting, and perhaps making a difference, to someone else.  Sometimes it's the difference between asking, "What will I get out of it," and "What can I contribute?"

OK, I know this is getting way too philosophical. It shouldn't be this hard. But I guess being aware is what it's all about. I'm realizing that it is really more a matter of looking at people and situations through different lenses--more loving, forgiving, and understanding lenses. It may not even change what we do. It just means that wherever we are, whatever we are doing, and whoever we're with, that we are tuned in and present.


I'll end this too-lenghty discourse with another quote from the book:

“My friends from India greet each other by bringing their hands together, bowing slightly, and saying the Nameste. It means, roughly translated, “I honor the Deity within you. “That is precisely what we do when we open our hearts to another; we honor the fact that he or she, like us, is a child of the same loving Father, worthy of all respect and careful attention.”
Before I started Yoga I had never heard of that word. But that is how we end each Yoga session. As we sit in the lotus position, we put our hands together, bow our heads, and say "Nameste."

NAMASTE  

3 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Very good. I have heard the same idea expressed as viewing people as children of God vs. functions of us, meaning how can that person somehow serve me? The book Anatomy of Peace is a wonderful book about this same idea. Keep it going, as I find this very interesting and helpful to my personal growth. Good for you.

Misty B. said...

Uncle Tom, I've read Anatomy of Peace twice. I think I need to read it every month for the rest of my life! I've recomended it to Mom also. I think she'd love it!

Unknown said...

I also believe it is important to understand that there are people and situations that really do drain our energy. Since we only have so much energy, I believe it is important, and healthy, to recognize this,and not put ourselves in situations where all we do is drain our energy. I don't think this means we have "closed hearts."

Annette, thanks for making me think deep this morning.