Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sometimes

when you look around, you see so much loss and sorrow.  Our neighbor, Don, passed away yesterday.  It makes my heart hurt knowing what his family is going through.   Our other neighbor is battling cancer, and I watch her husband care for her so lovingly.  I don't think you can ever truly understand what a wife or husband feels when their spouse dies.  I've heard so many widows say that it was harder than they ever thought it would be.  I know Mom felt that way.  Even when the spouse is somewhat intellectually prepared, they are still never emotionally prepared for the loss and void they feel. 

I'm hoping Gary and I will be one of those lucky couples that die within a few hours or days of each other.  If that can't happen, I chose to go first.   Believing that our spirits and relationships live on after death is definitely a comfort.  I don't know how people survive the loss if they don't believe that.  But the missing and void and sadness we feel when they are gone, is a natural part of our loving them.

2 comments:

Nat said...

In my mind I think that you both will live forever...so...work on becoming immortal would you please?

Tom Anderson said...

In the end, we all grow old and die. Time as the enemy is an age old theme. But, it need not be. We who believe, have faith, know that at death "eternity greets us with a kiss". Nice to know that. I recall mom saying that she did not know how much she would miss dad. Without faith, the alternative is bleek. Nice entry.