Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Camelot Moments

I was reading an article by Brad Wilcox today.  He was Misty's 6th Grade teacher as well as one of Gary's students.  I've always enjoyed his perspectives, as a speaker and a writer, because he always seems to look at the positive.  He definitely built up Misty and all the students he had in his classes and instilled confidence in them.

In this article he was talking about "Camelot Moments."  Like the line from the musical that says, "Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for one brief shining moment, that was known as Camelot."   He relates that to our lives.  "When you get down and feel like everything is falling apart, remember the Camelot moments.  That may help you maintain a long-term perspective and keep on going."  

He quotes President Hinckley as saying, "I know it isn't easy. It's discouraging at times,sure.  Aren't you glad it isn't just fun all the time?  Those valleys of discouragement make more beautiful the peaks of achievement."

I also liked where he related an experience with his wife, who is a nurse.  He was complaining about all the ups and downs during his days as a teacher.  She said, "Brad, when you get hooked up to the heart monitor, you don't want to see a straight line.  That's bad news.  It's the ups and down lines that let you know you are alive."

Reading this got me thinking about "Camelot" moments.  I've had many in my life, though one in particular comes to mind.   That was when we adopted Natalie.  After having our two stillborn daughters, Annalee and Emily, I felt a great loss but I also gained a greater gratitude for the daughters we had.  I viewed them with a different perspective and never took the blessing of having them for granted.  And then when Natalie came into our lives, it was pure joy.   It was a completion.  A Camelot Moment, as Brad Wilcox would say.

I'm grateful for Camelot Moments in my life.  I need to do a bit of attitude adjustment to think as President Hinckley did, and feel glad that it is not always that way.  Or be grateful for the downs on the heart monitor.  I tend to look at problems as, well, problems.  Not as opportunities.

Lots of food for thought.    
    .
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I second my dear wife's comments.

Tiffany said...

Love it mom! You & Dad have created many of my "Camelot Moments." Thanks for the good reminder!

Misty B. said...

I agree Tiff! I think I'm having one of those down moments because I just had a Camelot week! It does make the good times better when we have the low times. However, I still haven't mastered the down times. I guess that's why I still have them:)