Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, April 18, 2013

We went to the movie

"42" this evening.  It is the story of Jackie Robinson, the first black player to play on a regular Major League Baseball team.  It was an excellent movie.

By the time I was old enough to hear about and understand race issues,  it was the 60's.  I remember seeing the news about segregation issues that dealt with busing and schools on the news.  But Utah was not a hotbed of controversy, since we had very little diversity at that time and I was not exposed to racism.

That is why it absolutely amazes me that, just 10 years before I was born, there were segregated restrooms, hotels, restaurants, and just about everything that was public.    It is hard to take in.  I've obviously lived a very sheltered life, but I would hope that even back when it was socially acceptable to be racist, that I would have felt it was wrong.   Yet, as is displayed in the movie, if you are brought up to believe a certain way by your parents who you trust, it would be hard to change what has been made a part of you.  So, I guess I should also be amazed that in such a short time we have made so much progress.   I would hope that our common humanity will always win out.

1 comment:

Misty B. said...

Dan's taking Lydia on a daddy-daughter date tonight. They're going to that movie...hmmm I wonder who picked it?