Crinkled Oranges

Friday, April 12, 2013

Today I had a reminder about not

judging by appearances.

I was standing in line at Costco (imagine that).  The line was long, so I had plenty of time to observe the lady in front of me.  I just saw her from the back, but from that viewpoint she appeared to be very poor and/or unconcerned about appearance.  She was wearing an old looking house dress, a sweater that was misshapen  and grey hair pulled back not very neatly. I guess the best description would be that, from the back, she kind of looked like Granny in Beverley Hillbillies (if anyone remembers that show).  

Then she turned around and she saw the primrose flowers I was buying.  Her face lit up and she said, "Oh, aren't those beautiful flowers".  She had a very melodious voice and her face had a radiance about it.  She told me the story of friend who had moved into a new place and was feeling alone.  Her friend awoke the next morning to find that someone had anonymously planted primroses outside her window and that it had made such a difference for her.  

That was the end of our conversation, but as I observed her interaction with the clerk, I saw that she showed that same bright attitude to him.  I was humbled and amazed at the same time.  And also reminded that you really shouldn't judge a book by its cover.



2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Nice story. So true. Thanks again for helping Steph. You are special. Love you.

Cecilia e Helena said...

Beautiful post! It made me smile!
:)
Helena