Crinkled Oranges

Friday, January 29, 2010

My Banner

During our relationships class for the last two weeks, we've kind of gotten into the idea of  "banners."   Something like Captain Moroni's title of liberty, which he fastened on the end of a pole, and which said,  "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children."

Basically our banner would be what holds us up, or even what we can fall back on, when faced with a tough situation.   I've thought about it a lot and been unsure whether it should represent something that we are, or something that we want to be.  But last week when I was feeling my all too common anxiety about my all-or- nothing tendencies, I read this talk  Being Temperate in all Things  from the October General Conference.  It hit me right square in the eyes, and I knew that this is what I want on my banner.
TEMPERANCE
A few quotes from the talk:  "When the Apostle Paul described certain fruits of the Spirit in his Epistle to the Galatians, he talked of 'love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, [and] temperance.'"  "Being temperate is to use moderation in all things or to exercise self-control." 

So to me, that word "temperance" mixed in with all the other gifts listed sounds so peaceful.   Sometimes I think to myself, "I don't know how to live."  By that I mean that I don't know how to just "be" because I'm so task oriented.   I'm task oriented to the point that when there's not a "task," I do nothing.   I want to "enjoy the journey," and all the stops and twists along the way.  Not always fretting about the destination or the completion.

I don't know if temperance is really
something that should be on a banner. 
But it is a gift I really want. 

Now, if anyone has a checklist for a fast track to temperance,
please let me know. 

3 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Sorry but I can't help you out!!! Is there some sort of "gene" therapy that will help you on the fast tract???? Or, perhaps looking at life as being a recorded sports event, and we having seen the end know that it will all end well. Thus, knowing the end we can be more relaxed about the outcome as we watch the recorded game (live life). I read that once and thought it was good.

That's the best I can do. I suffer the same malady.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I need some of your task orientation! Slice off a piece and send it to me. But, honestly, Annette, you get so much done! You can rest later. No one would want to change you one bit. We ALL want to be just like you.

Pam's Place said...

What you wrote here, Annette, makes me think of the scripture, "Be still and know that I am God." You've given me something to think about.