Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, February 21, 2010

How

cute (and delicious) is this?


We had been home from St. George
for just a few minutes tonight when the doorbell rang. 
There at the door were two of my favorite people,
Martha and her daughter, Caroline.
They were bringing us this beautiful cake.


Caroline had made and decorated this cake. 
It looked like it had been done professionally. 
It tasted like it had been made professionally.
Only better.  

What enters my mind (besides how much I appreciate it)
is the thought of how generosity begets generosity.
Caroline had learned to decorate cakes at Activity Days.
Her leaders had very generously made each of the girls cakes
and then taught them how to decorate them.
Caroline and Martha had passed that generosity on
by making and giving us this beautiful cake.

Because I don't have a closet as big as the one 
in the Parade of Homes,
I had been forced to clean out my closet.
I had shared some of my (too many) clothes with Martha.
I wanted to share with Martha, because I appreciate her so much.

She has been very influential in Natalie's life.
She was her singing teacher for many years.
She not only helped her vocally,
but has always built her up
and given her encouragement and support.
When Natalie auditioned for
(and got the part of the witch in "Into the Woods,")
Martha practised with her and accompanied her at the tryout.
Just thinking about the difference she has made in
Natalie's life brings tears to my eyes.

Just last week, Martha called to tell Natalie
that she should audition for a play at the Scera Theatre.
 She's getting together with Natalie 
to help her practice a song to audition with.

Now, I feel so much gratitude for the cake and the support,
that I want to give back (or forward).

Yup.
Generosity begets Generosity.

4 comments:

allison nadauld said...

How sweet. Annette, you bring out the goodness and kindness in everyone because you have them mastered already. Yes, that cake is amazing. And go Natalie...we hope you get the part!

Tom Anderson said...

You would know about generosity.

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

it makes my mouth water just looking at it. let us know how Natalie's audition goes.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

What a wonderful post. I hope Natalie gets the part.

And ACK, the leaders--who shall remain nameless--of the younger Achievement Day girls don't do such things as teach their girls to decorate cakes. AND THEY GAVE EACH GIRL A CAKE? Ack, again!