Crinkled Oranges

Friday, February 19, 2010

You

have to live with yourself, and so.
You have to be fit for yourself to know.
You need to be able as days go by,
always to look yourself straight in the eye.

Or it goes something like that.
I'll have to look it up when my internet access is more reliable.
That poem has been going in my mind all morning.
I remember it (somewhat) from 5th or 6th grade when we had to memorize it.

  We're in St. George, and last night on the way down we listened to "Standing for Something," on CD.  The book was written by President Hinckley.  I'm not sure if I've read it before, but it is very thought provoking.    He points out 10 virtues that are important, but that are missing in our modern culture.  I'll have to list those once we're done listening to the CD.

So, I guess thinking about the book on CD has triggered that poem in my mind.  It is interesting that I really seldom look myself in the eye.  I will look in the mirror as I put on my makeup, do my hair, or see how my clothes look.  But to really look myself in the eye, is not something I do often.  I don't know if that is deliberate (afraid of what I'll see?) or a result of just not thinking about it.  

Anyway, that sounds like a good exercise to do each day.
In our relationships class, the point has been brought out that if we look closely in the mirror, that it will turn into a window where we can not only see and love ourselves more clearly, but also see and love others more truly.

So, that is something to practice I guess. 
Looking ourselves straight in the eye.

2 comments:

tingey said...

Annette.....just when I think i'm out, I get pulled back in with a statement you make in your blog. Thank you, I have never thought that the mirror will tell you about yourself.

Tom Anderson said...

I think you are very introspective and really underestimate yourself. Many people would not even ask themselves the questions you raise. I read that book by Pres. Hinckley and liked it very much. One of my faorite sayings is, I believe, by Socrates who said basically the same thing: "The unexamined life is no life at all"

As for the mirror, there are reasons I don't stare at myself that have little to do with what you are talking about (wrinkles, baldness, sagging skin, age spots etc).