Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mom

Today is Mom's birthday. If she were still living, she would be 97 years old.  As much as I would love her to still be alive, I wouldn't have wanted to see her live that long without Dad.  It was hard enough watching her sorrow during the eighteen months she lived without him.

Today as I've been sorting through the "Deep" (see, watching "Hoarders"does help), I've run across lots of things that were written for, about, or that remind me of Mom.  They are sweet memories.

Here is one of them. This is a poem written by my brother, Richard, sharing his feelings about Mom the summer before she died. (Thanks, Tiffany, for letting me know it was written by Richard).  The picture shows her standing watching the sunset at the beach.







 
 

 

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Happy Birthday Grandma! I wish I could say those were my words. . .but unless I've totally forgotten I do believe Richard wrote that poem! He has a beautiful way with words. . .I would not be quite so elegant. I do love that picture though and the memories of being with Grandma and Grandpa at the beach. Every time I go to a beach I think of them.

Misty B. said...

I'm so glad you reminded me about her birthday! I use to keep both their birthdays on my calendar and have gotten away from it the last few years. It's always good to remember Grandma. I don't think she's too far away. I swear I can still here her standing up for anytime I let someone make me feel small. She was one of my best defenders!

Misty B. said...

Of course I meant "hear her" oops

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. I thought about mom all day on her birthday. I have always loved that poem that Richard wrote. It says so beautifully what we all felt.