Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Some of the messages

from conference today that touched my heart have dealt with: Forgiveness, faith through hardships, serving each other, the blessings of the atonement.

But, perhaps the messages that struck me the most dealt with the importance of family relationships -- preserving them, honoring them, and enhancing them with good examples and love. As Elder Nelson talked of Family History, I was glad I was (right then as I was listening) entering pedigree sheet information into the database for the Hall Family Website. I should be devoting more time to doing that than to my flower pins (which are much more fun).

I feel a great desire, and even urgency, to pass a loving heritage to my children and grandchildren. No doubt it is the spirit of Elijah that I am feeling.  That desire to "turn the hearts of the children to their fathers, and the hearts of the fathers to the children,"  There are many things I could be doing that I'm not doing to preserve the past.  There are many more things I can do to build upon my family now.   Sometimes I feel that because of distance and time that I cannot really make a difference.. That is true to an extent. But it is no excuse for not doing what I can to pass on the heritage that has been passed on to me.  

I'm grateful for this blogging experience because it is "forcing" me to write some of my life experiences as well as those of my family. I want to pass on to my posterity how much I love them and how grateful I am for God's plan that allows us to be reunited after death. I want them to know that, even after my body is dead and gone, that my spirit is not dead and gone. I don't know exactly what I'll be doing (maybe making real flowers pins?), but I know I'll be concerned and caring about what is happening in their lives. I want them to make wise and good decisions that will give them true happiness.   I will be rooting for them from wherever I am. That is a certainty.

And now to more worldly matters. 

As far as our "staycation" goes, we've been following the itinerary closely.  Here are pictures of Natalie and Gary ready to devour our sticky buns (aka know as Monkey bread in Missouri), Natalie and I at dinner, and a picture Gary snapped of me as I "relaxed and rested."





Meanwhile, our travel agent is telling us that we may have to rearrange some of our activities, as many are scheduled for outdoors.   Here is the dismal weather forecast for the week:
Monday Windy. Rain and snow likely in the morning...then rain and snow in the afternoon. Accumulation around 1 inch. Highs in the upper 40s. West winds 20 to 30 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Monday Night:  Breezy. Snow likely. Accumulations possible. Lows around 30. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph in the evening. Chance of snow 70 percent.
Tuesday Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Highs in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow showers. Lows in the mid 20s.
Wednesday Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 50s. Lows around 30. 
Thursday Mostly clear. Highs around 60. Lows in the upper 30s.
Friday through Saturday Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 60s. Lows in the upper 30s.
Oh well, a little bad weather
can't ruin our time at Bunny Hollow.

5 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

I loved your blog entry. It was heartfelt.

tingey said...

good blog tonight AAA.....Sometimes you are just a great writer.......check out my profile on facebook, good picture of me and my 2 boys.

Unknown said...

Mom, you do all of this perfectly. In fact, yesterday as we were watching conference Annie, out of the blue, said "Let's drive to Utah to see Grandma and Grandpa Ashton." Even though we are hundreds of miles apart somehow you have fused solid links of love to our children. We are so grateful.

Tiffany said...

Oops, I just realized that my google account was signed in as my babysitter from Friday night! She must have been on the computer. It's me really, not Ginny!

Misty B. said...

I agree with Tiffany! You are amazing at relationships. I could learn a lot. Dan noticed that many of the talks referred to the importance of Mothers. He jokingly said, "well, for a change the Mom's need a little steering." You are one mom that sets the example, thanks! Love, Misty