Crinkled Oranges

Friday, October 15, 2010

The Nature

of "Gifts."  I've been thinking about gifts a lot lately.  Not the tangible, wrap up, and tie on a bow kind of gifts.  But the gifts and talents that are within each of us. 

I believe many of those gifts came with our spirits when we were born.  Many are cultivated.  Many are a result of our experiences.   But each gift is needful and has it's place in the whole picture of life.  No one can have all the gifts, and that is the beauty of it.   Yet often times we look at others gifts and talents and use those as a measuring stick against ourselves or others.  There is no beauty in that.

What triggered my thoughts about this was a segment I saw on a TV show.   They were talking with a woman who is very accomplished in her field.  People will ask her how she does it all, and she said that she doesn't.  Her home is not a priority, but the people in her life are the priority.   She shared pictures of her home, and neatness was definitely not her priority.   

So is it priorities or is it gifts?   Do we cultivate those gifts because they are our priorities?  What is easy for one person may be very hard for another.   There are the very obvious gifts, such as musical talent, artistic talent, public speaking, etc.  But to me, the gifts that really matter are the more subtle character traits. 

The gifts of . .  truly listening. . . having a loving heart . . . being a true friend . . . resiliency. . . knowledge (and the seeking of it). . . building up others. . . strength during adversity. . . forgiveness . . .

Misty made a comment this summer as we were talking about someone and the gifts she has of truly listening, caring about others, and giving you her full attention.  She said something to the effect of, "The world will be a sadder place when she is no longer in it."    I was struck by that comment.  I'm sure I haven't said it exactly as she did (do you remember, Misty?), but the meaning was clear.   If your gifts make the world a better place, then they are priceless to those you share them with. 

My life is filled with so many good gifts shared with me by family, friends, neighbors, and even strangers.   Right now I really am crying.  Not from sadness, or chopping onions, or because Tiffany lost all her pictures and videos from the last three years when her computer crashed (that truly is a reason to cry), 

But from graditude for the many gifts
that are shared with me
by you. 

4 comments:

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

Annette-
What a thoughtful entry. I am so glad that you are still blogging. I think that expressing your thoughts through writing is one of your "gifts".

Lynn said...

Thank you, Annette, for your "gift" of friendship. I am truly blessed to have you as a sister-in-law! You are always so inspiring to me with all that you do - you are truly blessed with many gifts!

Misty B. said...

I do remember making that comment and I could say the same about you--my world would be a lot more sad without your gifts! (I really hoping Tiff can still recover her data!)

Tom Anderson said...

Very nice blog entry. I think we all have something that can make the lifes of others a little better. Your gift of kindness is the one that stands out for me. I personally believe that each of us has at least one gift. All my brothers and sisters do and so do my wife and all the children. It is really amazing to think about it.