Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Unfinished Projects

It's been kind of a rare time for me the last few weeks.  I don't have an immediate event  to prepare for or a big project in the works, so I've been doing a lot of cleaning out and finishing projects.  Here's one I resurrected from about 12 years ago.  It has been taking "Prime Real Estate" in the craft room, so I decided to either work on it or throw it away. 

Swedish Weaving.
 
I showed Natalie how to do it, and we enjoyed doing it as we listened to General Conference on Sunday. 

I was at the fabric store the other day (just walking by the 100% Polyester fabric), when I saw the monk's cloth that Swedish weaving is done on.  It was only $2.50 a yard.  So for 12 years I've held on to fabric that would have cost me only $10.00 to replace if I decided I wanted to do it again.  Yet I've held on to it 1) because I bought it  2) because I hate not to waste it because I bought it, and 3) Someday I may want to do it and the fabric won't be available.  Hardly worth holding on to.  But old habits die hard.

  At some point you just have to say that something has "fulfilled it's purpose," and toss it.    I like that phrase.  If you no longer use something, yet you're hesitant to get rid of it because someone gave it to you or you spent a lot of money on it,  then you can say "It has fulfilled it's purpose" and I can let it go now. 

I tell myself that a lot. 
But sometimes I have selective hearing.

3 comments:

Astromom said...

That is really cute, I've been simplifying and clearing out, but haven't even touched my unfinished projects, maybe it is time.

Nat said...

We are all my pictures on here awful :(

Nat said...

*why