Crinkled Oranges

Monday, October 18, 2010

Nobility

I copied this quote from the fictional book, "The Timepiece."   It describes, much more beautifully than I ever could, what nobility is. 
"As a child, to visualize nobility was to conjure up visions of queens and kings adorned in the majestic, scarlet robes of royalty. As a man, softened by the tutelage of life and time, I have learned a great truth--that true nobility is usually a silent and lonely affair, unaccompanied by the trumpeted fanfare of acclaim. And more times than not, it wears rags."  David Parkin's Diary, Dec 19, 1913.   The Timepiece by Richard Paul Evans.

I see nobility in the way a friend and her husband are dealing with her cancer.  I saw true nobility as I watched another friend and her husband deal with his slow physical decline and eventual death.  I see it in people handling tragedy with faith.  I see it in those who suffer humiliation and hurt, but handle it with humility and without bitterness and revenge. 

Nobility really is something that is hard to define. 
But I love the word. 
And when you see it, you recognize it .      

1 comment:

Tom Anderson said...

Loved your entry. I see nobility from people in the worst of circumstances. It is inspiring.