Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Notes of appreciation

Gary received an unexpected letter in the mail the other day. It was from a boy (now a man) who Gary coached in pony league and then later in high school.


In the letter, he expressed appreciation to Gary for all the time and effort he invested in him when he was a young man. He wrote that he didn't know if Gary had realized it, but that his family was in quite a bit of turmoil when he was child and young man. Among other things, he expressed thanks to Gary for being a mentor and for filling a void in his life. He sent a family picture with his wife and their five children and told a little of what was going on in his life. He closed with, "And thanks again for, after having watched me walk the bases loaded, to look me in the eyes and tell me you believed in me, so get yourself out of this. It meant the world to me."


Gary was very touched by the letter and amazed that someone would take the time, after more than 30 years, to write a note of gratitude. It has caused us to reflect on the people in our lives who have had a positive influence on us. And it makes us realize how much an expression of gratitude can mean.

4 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

That's very nice. As a coach and teacher there are probably many more out there who express the same things about Gary. I tease him, always have, but only because he can take it and because he is such a good man. You both deserve the best and you have it with each other.

Tiffany said...

Love that story Mom and Dad. I'm sure both of you have touched countless lives. It also makes me realize I need to express my appreciation to the people who have touched me.

Misty B. said...

Wow, what a great experience. I need to write more letters like that. I could write thousands to you and Dad saying similar things.

Unknown said...

That is a wonderful story!!!!