Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Wall Street"

is the movie we went to tonight.  I don't even try to understand the whole process of stocks and investing.  Gary watches the stock market daily and always has Jim Kramer on.  I'm familiar with some of the vocabulary (puts.calls, short sells, etc.), but I couldn't tell you what they mean.  The whole process actually makes me nervous.  Gary has really wanted to see the movie, and I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  It helped that there was a lot of human interest in it.

It really made me think about what drives "humankind."  For some, they can never have enough of whatever it is they're seeking -- be it power, money, possessions, or thrill of the game.  For some it is just a game, and if they are not winning then it means someone else is.  Others need or want very little.   I think most of us, because we are human, struggle with some of the more worldly desires.  But, in the end, we know what is really important.  And what we can take with us.

No comments: