Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Achieving

Balance.

Something I think about a lot.

I've seen a marked improvement with my balance in Yoga.  When I first started a couple of years ago, I couldn't even lift my foot off the floor and balance in any way.  Now, on a good day, I can strike the tree pose (shown here -- not me, the tree pose) and hold it for a while.   I definitely don't do it as well as the picture shows, but I really have improved a lot.





What I haven't seen a lot of improvement in is
balance in other areas of my life.
By that I mean, overcoming my
 "all or nothing" tendencies.
 
Take today for instance.  Such good intentions.  We did get up and go on a walk after which I went to a baptism of Cole, one of my cute Primary boys.  Since then, though, it's been a nothing day.  I'm sitting here looking at several boxes of geneology that I pulled out to work on, a pile of discs to be organized, and recipe boxes to finish.   

If I would learn to do a little bit at a time,
in moderation,
then I wouldn't have those "all" days
and those "nothing" days.
There would be balance.

But, until I achieve that,
I'm giving myself permission to have a nothing day
and to enjoy doing nothing,
since that's what I'm doing anyway.

By the time you're 55,  aren't you supposed to have it all together?

3 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

My dear, you have it together more than any woman I know. You have "all" days that match other people's months. So twelve of your all days match another person's year. By the time you are finished with a year you have done enough for a whole lifetime. Standing on one leg, yet.

Tom Anderson said...

I really think balance is sooo important. Last night I was bringing some chairs to my car from the church for our party and lost my balance and fell and sprained my ankle. It hurts. I am soooo deep.

tingey said...

oh annette......oh boy could I say some things on this blog? But because I love you so much I will hold my tounge for another day. You and Gary are the best.