Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, September 27, 2009

History in these

Chairs.



Tonight I was sitting in the chair on the left, 
and Gary in the chair on the right.
We were visiting with our Home Teachers.

As we talked,
I looked closely at the chairs we were sitting in
and thought of their history.
They were in Mom and Dad's bedroom and
 set the stage for many hours of conversation.
Mom would sit in the left chair (by her window),
 and whoever was visiting with her in the right chair.
If Dad was there, which he usually was, 
he would sit on the bed.
Mom was, more often than not,
 doing some handwork
(crotcheting, cross stich, embroidery).

After Mom died, my Aunt Beth told me that
when she visited with Mom in the bedroom
(two days before she died),
that Mom was working on this
Twelve Days of Christmas runner for me.




For a long time I sentimentally kept the
needle threaded through
the cloth just where Mom had left it.
But, now I'm trying to work on it
and hopefully finish it someday.
I don't have the skill or
patience that Mom had for it, though.

I think I'm rambling a bit here,
but I guess it stems from the fact that
so many memories come from those chairs.
 Add Dad's painting on the wall behind the chairs
and the grandfather clock that he built,
and we've got a whole lot of history there.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

As you were describing Grandma in the chair talking I envisioned myself many times sitting with her there. . .and Grandpa on the bed! I love those memories. But when we would scratch her dandruff with the comb she would sit in the left chair so we had more room to get behind her! I have her to blame for all my weird picking fettishes. I loved scratching that dandruff off!!

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

I love that you have the chairs set up the similar to the way Grandma did. Can you imagine the thoughts, ideas and gossip that those chairs heard....

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You know you will have to make two more of those as each of your daughters will want one. Maybe you will have to make three because they will want them befor you die, which I hope you never do. Die, that is.