Crinkled Oranges

Friday, September 4, 2009

Isn't it interesting

how there are some people you are just drawn to?
Sometimes it is the spirit that radiates from them.
Sometimes it comes from just observing their actions.
Sometimes it is how they look you in the eye.

A friend, Beth, who lived on our street until last year,
passed away yesterday
She was 91, and she lived a good long life.
When we moved here, she and her husband, Ross,
reached out in friendship to us, just as they did to everyone.
Beth had the most friendly, kindly face.
Ross was such a kind and gentle man.
They were just a few years shy of my parent's age.

I remember the day that Ross died,
because it was on my Dad's birthday.
Dad had died a little more than a year before that,
and my feelings of loss were still very raw.
When I got the phone call on the morning of
March 7, 1995, and was told that Ross had died,
I started to cry.
I went back to bed and cried for a long time.

I know I was crying for Ross,
but I was also crying for Dad,
and for just the feeling of loss that comes with death.

I'm so grateful for my knowledge that
life does not end with the death of the body.
That the soul is still very much alive
even when the body isn't.
I am so happy for Beth, that she is reunited with Ross now

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could just get a little "glimpse"
of what all our loved ones who have moved on are doing right now?

5 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

A glimpse would be nice, and that was very touching. Thanks.

tingey said...

AAA.....I think you better redoo the last coment? Does life really end with the death of a body. And then go on to a spirt? I think this is outstanding.....And then what happen's in the long run is better than we could ever amagine......did I spell that right???? LOL

Annette said...

Thanks for the correction, Duke. I added the "NOT," so now it says what I meant it to say. That little word makes a whole lot of difference!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I am forwarding the Mystery Sister story I did on Beth. This is the full interview, the part printed in the bulletin was only one page.

you are so sweet to go back to bed to cry over Ross and your dad. Annette, you always amaze me with your tenderness, your willingness to serve and surprise people with your wonderful "stuff," you incredible energy and efficiency. Are you really the Energizer Bunny?

Cheryl said...

Annette,
This is a wonderful blog...Yes that Beth was one of a kind...I can still hear her laugh. As I said in Lynne's comment section. It is to bad we can't turn the clock back sometimes when all those other fine families lived there....I didn't hear about the death till the funeral was over. I wish I could have been there. I run into Beth and her son about a year ago in the store. It was good to see her and chat for a few minutes....love ya, Cheryl