Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"Limited" College Sports Fan


I can really get excited about college athletics.
On one condition, that is.
If I know someone on the team.
Or even if I know someone
who knows someone on the team.

I followed all the Provo High teams because the players were my friends.  I followed the BYU football team when my brother-in-law, Craig, was on it.  I followed the Snow College and Southern Utah State (Football and Baseball) teams when Gary was on them.  I followed the BYU Women's volleyball team when my niece, Leslie, was on it.   I followed the Idaho State Soccer team when my niece, Stephanie, was on it.  And the list could go on.  Now I'm following the BYU Soccer team because my nephew, Cory, has a daughter, Lauren, playing on it. (Lauren is my brother, Gary's, granddaughter)

It has been fun going to the BYU Soccer games when I am able to attend.  Lauren came in as a freshman last year, and has done really well.  An added bonus is that I get to see Cory and his wife Stacy more, as they trade off flying into home games from their home in California.

On the program from Monday's soccer game there were interview questions for the athletes. One of Lauren's questions was, "Who do you call first after a game."   Her answer was, "My Dad."  That is so sweet, and it doesn't surprise me.   It is almost as much fun to watch Cory at the games as it is to watch Lauren.  It seems he can read her every move and senses everything she is feeling.

They are such a good family
.

1 comment:

Tom Anderson said...

They are a very good family. I am happy you get to see them and Lauren play. I miss those soccer days of watching the games. But, I do live vicariously now through Lauren and my grandkids.