Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, September 13, 2009

I just

remembered something I had totally forgotten about. As I was watching "Catch Me If You Can" with Natalie, there was a "candy striper" in it.

To Paraphrase the definition of a candy striper:

"A candy striper was traditionally a young, female hospital volunteer. The unique job title represented the candy cane look of the red and white-striped pinafores worn by the volunteers." During the 1950s and 60s, the popularity of candy stripers was widespread. In general, the goal of a candy striper was to make a patient's stay in the hospital more pleasant."

I remember walking from my home on Cedar Avenue, going across the BYU campus, walking down the BYU hill, and then on to the hospital on 5th West and about 900 North. It was something I really wanted to do, but to be honest, I don't think it was as much out of a desire to serve as it was that I liked the cute uniforms and it was a cool thing to do. I don't have any pictures of me in the uniform, but here is a picture of it (circa late 60's early 70's)


You can see why I would want to be one, can't you?

I think it must have been the summer between 8th an 9th grade (1968). My responsibility was to go from room to room with a cart with amenities for the patients (magazines, candy, books, etc.) I remember it actually being somewhat intimidating to me, as I never knew what condition the patient was in or if they were allowed to eat candy or whatever it was they wanted.

Interesting that I had totally forgotten about that.

It's been a busy day: Deacons here for breakfast, mission farewell of my cousin Susan and her husband Bruce (going to Florida). Primary, and lots and lots of cooking as I try to get ready for the "breakfast" mini-class I'm helping on this Tuesday.

1 comment:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Annette, check the Energizers in your back. Have The Smirker open the little door, it's probably between the shoulder blades.

Yes, I can see why you wanted a Candy Striper outfit. They were really cute in those days and I'll bet you were darling! You still are.