Crinkled Oranges

Monday, November 9, 2009

Apple Crisp

I've made apple crisp a lot more since I got the corer-peeler-slicer.  Making 3 pie plates of it for the meeting last night was a breeze. Gary and Natalie had fun coring the apples and I made the crumb topping.

The only problem was that I forgot to put the flour in the crumb mixture.  As I was putting the crumb mixture on top of the apples, I commented that usually there was more topping than this.  Fortunately, I hadn't put them in the oven when I thought to check the recipe again to see if I had left something out.  I then picked all the topping off the apples, mixed the flour in, and put it back on.   Fortunately, it did not impact the final result.

Here is the recipe I've used for many years.  I got it from one of my first cookbooks.

Apple Crisp

5 cups pared tart apples
     (I like golden delicious, sliced thin)
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine or butter

Arrange apples in buttered 9 inch pan or pie plate. Combine brown sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon; cut in butter till crumbly. Press mixture over apples. Bake in moderate oven (350) for 45 to 50 minutes or until top is browned. Serve with ice cream or cool whip.

P.S. I didn't want to exercise tonight. But, because (in a weak moment) I committed to exercise 5 times a week, we went to the gym at 7 pm and walked on a treadmill. I guess it's good I made the commitment.

2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Please, no more talk of food!!!!

Unknown said...

I love that recipe!!!!