Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Tonight

in between making pumpkin rolls, fudge, turkey pops, and pies (I'm in charge of dessert tomorrow), I sat down and read this article in the paper.

"Research say gratitude
brings health, happiness"

"Academics have long theorized that expressions of thanks promote health and happiness and give optimism and energy to the downtrodden.  Now, the study of gratitude has become a surprisingly burgeoning field, and research indicates being thankful might help people actually feel better.  There's a catch, however:  You have to say thanks more than just once a year.  If you don't do it regularly, you're not going to get the benefits . . . It's kind of like you you went to the gym once a year.  What would be the good of that."

Interesting, but I didn't really need a researcher to tell me that.  The scriptures tell us that.  My heart tells me that.  If  I am ever feeling overwhelmed or depressed, counting my blessings (and expressing thanks) does wonders.  But even still, knowing that, I do often forget.

So, during this season of Thanksgiving,
I want to express gratitude.
 
Gratitude for those who came before me. (I don't think I could have been born into a more wonderful home or family)
 
Gratitude for the handsome guy sitting right next to me in the recliner with his computer on his lap. 

Gratitude for my daughters who give my life joy, meaning, and purpose.

Gratitude for my sons-in-law who are so good to my daughters and grandchildren.   

Gratitude to my grandchildren who light up my life with joy.

Gratitude for all relatives, friends, and neighbors who enhance my life with their goodness and love. 

Gratitude for the many people who have left, and continue to leave, "footprints on my heart."

Thank you.

4 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oh, Annette, you make my heart sing. Phil said the same thing about gratitude tonight. He was watching an old Music and the Spoken Word and played it for me. I was so busy making clam dip, artichoke dip, etc. that I didn't listen very well and didn't give it the attention I should. I'm going to ask him tomorrow to talk to me about it.

I am grateful to you, for bringing sunshine into my life, for your smile, for your cheerful attitude, for living through trials--such trials you have had, my dear--and for being my friend.

PS I'm wearing my chocolate apron and it's kept me from sausage splatters and all manner of preperation things tonight. I love it! And you.

tingey said...

Annette.....where is my billing? At the end I should have recieved Quote. "AND THEN THERE'S DUKE" Remember, your not sitting next to that goodlookin guy if one night I hadn't woke you out of a deep sleep, because I kept waking your mom and dad out of a deep sleep. I am not sure Charlete was happy about the whole thing?

Unknown said...

We have so much to be thankful for!!!! Thank you for sharing. And Duke, I was NOT happy.

Tom Anderson said...

Well said. We have such a wonderful family tradition and family.