Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Junk Intervention

I'm laughing this morning.
 I just read my sister, Charlene's, comment
on my blog post about having too much stuff.

She said that she could help.
That they had done a
"junk intervention"
on her daughter and thrown away
eight bags of old clothes at her house.


First of all, Christa (my niece), my sympathies.
Did they gang up on you and tie you down
as they sorted through all the clothes you
wore during the eighties and nineties?
Did they give any thought to the memories
associated with those clothes or the fact
that they may come back in style?
I'm sure the answer is a resounding  "No."

I've had numerous offers from Tiffany about this.
If I would fly her in from Oregon,
she would gladly go through
my house and de-junk it for me.

So, here is what I'm visualizing
as I'm laughing:

Charlene and Tiffany unmercifully
going through all my treasured junk
(clothes, fabric, craft stuff, memorabilia,
things I might need again, things I have 5 of,
things I spent good money on, things someone gave me, etc.)
and throwing
it away without a second thought.
Misty might be somewhere in the middle
trying to negotiate,
but Natalie and I would be tied up so we
could not intervene with the intervention.
Gary would be in the background
cheering them on.
That is until they headed for his stuff
(particularly his trophies from little league)

Well, I'm motivated.
So motivated that I may go
start tossing things on my own.
Ha. I'll show them!
I'm so committed that I'm
promising that when I am done tossing
that I'll even take pictures
of the DEEP.

Wow, did I really say that?
***
(headed to yoga in an hour)

8 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

I know there is a saying something like, "One man's junk is another man's treasure" but that is not it, but the idea is the same.

Gary said...

Dear,
There is a big difference between junk from the deep and treasured trophies from years past! Certainly we can all agree on that fact. Nonetheless, I still admire your bravery in approaching this very difficult task without the professional dejunking skills of Charlene and Tiffany.

Love,

Gary

the smiths said...

It was my mom and Marci, and they were hard core. They had no sympathy for any sentimental reason to keep anything. Sadly, I need another intervention for my closet. If you aren't going to use them, I guess I will.

Love, Christa

Tiffany said...

Oh how I would love to go through your basement! It gives me the chills just to think about it. I'd love Charlene's help too. You, Christa and Nat can stay upstairs--maybe baking something yummy for us to eat when we are done (fudge, birthday cake, cupcakes, whatever you want!!!) IT wouldn't take that long really. :) But even though I sound tough, I'd probably be a bit sentimental with some of you stuff too... but only like 1/25 of what you would!

Unknown said...

I am laughing so hard visualizing this. I would have more fun with Tiffany than I have had in years. And I know that Gary would be thrilled. And, how did you know that Christa's clothes were the 80's (no, not even the 90's)!!!!!!!

Christa, I could come down this weekend and help :)

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

annette- don't do it. my mom is relentless. ken has to leave the house when she gets in those modes down here. she has been known to throw out super sentimental things such as rocks and 10 month-old crossword puzzles. once, she even dared to wash ken's stinky, greasy baseball cap- almost unforgiveable. although there is something to be said about the way tiff and my mom's houses look. maybe there is a correlation?

Nat said...

As long as you keep away from me and my stuff i'm ok...maybe...I shouldn't be around when this big clean out happens. Although, I'm pretty proud that I too have cleaned out years of 'keepsakes' or 'emotional attachments' from my own old room and storage area. There may be hope for me after all :D

Misty B. said...

This is too funny! I've been away from my computer for a few days and I love reading all the comments after they're made. The funny part is that I've offered to clean out Dan's parents shed many times. And yesterday I was at a friend's house helping her purge her junk. There is a theme here. However, I feel your pain mom! I know that it feels like you're cutting off your arm to get rid of some stuff! Love, Misty