Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, June 20, 2010

At dinner

today we went around the table telling something we appreciated about our fathers. 

I shared that one thing I appreciated about my Dad was the connection I felt with him. Dad didn't talk a lot, but he always listened and took in what was being said. If there was something that I or someone else needed and wanted, you could almost see the wheels turning in his head thinking of how he could provide it. He wanted for us whatever we wanted for ourselves.

For Gary, I told what a neighbor said to me yesterday. As I was talking to her about delivering some fliers around the neighborhood, I mentioned how sometimes if I had to deliver over a large area that I just had Gary drive me around as I did it. She said, "You are so lucky to have him. He is so good to you and supports what you do." I told her I agreed, even if sometimes he made fun of some of my projects.

Gary said what he appreciated about his Dad was that he was always a champion for the underdog. He would say to him "Now, Joe, take it easy on the little guys on the team." This was when Gary was actually one of the bigger "little guys" on the team. He also taught Gary to enjoy the moment and live each day to the fullest. His Dad was diagnosed with cancer in his 40's and died in his 50's, which is probably what helped his perspective.

Natalie shared that she appreciated Gary even more now that she is living on her own. He spent yesterday over at their condo putting up a fan. Then he swept up the outside entry area and did some other chores. She said she has alway appreciated the support he has always given her.

Lexie said what she really appreciated about her Dad was his example of service and how he got the whole family involved in it. He would get the whole family together and go pick up trash from the sides of the road or go visit someone who was alone. She said at the time she didn't understand why the whole family had to go. But now that he is gone, she really appreciates that they had that time together.

Here are a few pictures from the day.

Natalie and Gary with her gift of movie tickets and m&ms.
Opening up part of my gift and guessing what it might be.
Holding all of his loot. 
His real gift was a wallet, which you really can't see.
What was more of a gift for the family was a portable fire pit.
I wanted it so we can roast hot dogs and make s'mores when the
grand kids are here this summer.


And the best gift we gave to Gary was that Natalie and I actually sat with him for hours while he watched the US Open.   Now that was a gift, believe me.  He did concede that I could burn fabric for flowers while we watched, so that made it much more enjoyable.
-
I'm so grateful for all the fathers I love.  My son-in-laws, brothers, brother in-laws, and list goes on.  In fact, I'm very grateful for every man I know (and even those I don't know) who loves his children. 

1 comment:

Misty B. said...

I never knew that about Grandpa Ashton--Dan always gets angry with me because I hate it when one of our teams is completely creaming the other, I want the underdog to score. That must be where I get it from.

What I appreciate about my dad is his optimism! It's funny that I married a man with the same optimism. It's a quality I lack and I love it in others. I never remember Dad being down. I'm sure there were times when he was but it's a credit to him that I don't remember them.