Crinkled Oranges

Friday, June 25, 2010

It's been a non-stop

time the last few days.

Wednesday we had our Weekday Relief Society. The one where we "Scattered Sunshine." Needless to say, that song has been in my head all week. There were about 100 women and young women there who participated in a potluck salad dinner (we had two long tables filled to the brim with delicious salads), games, assembling humanitarian aid hygiene kits, cutting and tying the edges of fleece blankets, and making burned edge flowers. It was wonderful to see women of all ages participating together in all these activities. I fully intended to take pictures, but I didn't even have a minute to pull my camera out of my bag. There was more than $1300 donated for the humanitarian kits and blankets.

Yesterday I woke at 6:30 to begin sewing an apron for one of Natalie's friends.  We received an invite to her baby shower.  She has been married for 2 years and, as much as I hate to admit it, I still had not given her a wedding gift.  I have wanted to give her an apron with the bowls and pan I bought her.  Well, there's no time like a baby shower two years later to give her a wedding gift!  So, I finished the apron and then spent the rest of the day making little flower hair clips to match the little girl outfits we gave her for the baby.

So, here I am today.  Sometimes my life seems like I go from one mess to another.  In fact, it doesn't just seem that way, it is that way.  I get frustrated with myself.  But then I hear messages like the one in this little clip which we also watched as part of the activity.



I do have this desire to create.  When I first heard this message, it really touched my soul.  I think sometimes my frustration comes from the fact that I often don't finish (including clean up) what I start.  But the desire to create is inherit in all of us, especially women.  We want to create homes that are filled with love.  We want to create beauty in whatever place we are.  I think a woman's soul truly is remarkable.

3 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

thanks for sharing that. I loved that talk. I believe it is true. I think it is an intrinsic feeling that we all have, i.e., to create. And you are correct, women do rule. Someone once asked the emperor of Rome who ruled the world. He said "I rule Rome, Rome rules the world, and see that beautiful lady over there, she is my wife and she rules me." And, so it is....

Mark and Stacey Roylance said...

thank you for sharing this. It was something i needed to hear and see and be reminded of. :) it definitely touched my soul as well!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Annette, I hope you took photos! That was the most successful--former Homemaking, former Enrichment--Relief Society Week Day Activity I have ever been to. You are an amazing woman. You work so hard to make things nice for others, every little detail covered. And you know what? Scatter Sunshine was one of my morning songs this week! Thank you for your neverending, excellent service.