Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

2 more days

of testing, and then I can sleep in a little! 

Tonight I made the last 9 dozen coconut cupcakes for the wedding, which is Friday.  I'll frost some tomorrow night and the rest on Friday right before I deliver them.  So far it has gone smoothly, with no mishaps.  I'll be relieved once they are frosted and delivered without a something drastic happening (like the carriers tipping over in the car).   I can hardly watch the shows like "Cake Boss" or "Cupcake Wars," during the part where they are transporting their large creations. 

When I'm making cupcakes as a gift or volunteer effort, I want them to turn out well.  But it is a different kind of pressure when you're making them for money.   At the Stake Women's conference, where we had all the cupcakes, a lady asked me if I made them for weddings or other events.  I told her that I really didn't, but that I would be glad to share the recipes with her. 

She followed up with me a few weeks later and really wanted them for her daughter's wedding, so I decided to give it a try.  I really didn't know what to charge, so I went with a medium price of 75 cents each.  I felt badly even charging that, but the verdict is still out about how profitable it will be once it's all over.   I'll definitely come out ahead, as the ingredients don't add up to that much, but It's hard to figure in my time.  I'm glad I've done it though, as it has been kind of fun.

3 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

75 per cupcake is a real deal, for the other person. I would pay lot more than that for one of your creations. Get some rest.

Misty B. said...

I'm putting in Lydia's order for her wedding now. Do you think they could freeze for about 10 years or so?

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Seventy five cents?! I want some of the lemon ones but I'll pay more! Do I have to order a hundred? YOu are truly an amazing woman, I tell you, that cupcake van with the ordering window is just around the corner! You'd never get out of the neighborhood, though. You'd be swamped.