Crinkled Oranges

Monday, May 23, 2011

Growing old

and watching those we love grow older and more frail, is hard.   I think the passage into old age is perhaps the most difficult period of a person's life.  People have spent their lives being productive and active, and often those abilities diminish.  The more active and self-sufficient a person has been, the more adjustment it takes to deal with the physical challenges that make it hard to do what they've always done.  It made me sad to see Dad go through that.  He had never hired a anyone to do fix-it's in the house and he had always been the do-it man.  Yet as his eyesight and dexterity got worse, he had to give much of that up.  Having to depend on others for transportation and support was hard for him.

I guess I'm thinking of this particularly tonight because my brother, Gary, is going in to have knee replacement surgery tomorrow.   There should be no complications, but I worry about him because his health is more fragile because of his Parkinson's.   He and Lynn have amazing can-do attitudes, and Gary always says how much he appreciates all he is able to enjoy in life.  I only hope that at 73 I will be as sharp and positive as Gary is.

After we went to dinner with them tonight, Gary (hubby) and a neighbor gave Gary (brother) a blessing.  In the blessing Gary (hubby) mentioned how much Gary (brother) has contributed to and blessed other's lives for many years.  And how he will continue to do so as he recovers.  It was very comforting for me and made me grateful that we can call upon God and receive His blessings.   

What will I miss if and when I am no longer able to do what I do?  I will miss being able to do what I'm able to do. (Brilliant reasoning, I know).  Specifically:  Bake, create, listen (and actually hear), serve, read, be self-sufficient and productive.  Hopefully that will never happen.   But if it does, that is what I will miss.

Sorry. I'm just feeling a little melancholy tonight.

2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Nice blog. I know the feelings you express very well as I am living them now. If you define "growing old" not being able to "fix" things then I grew old and died about 60 years ago.

Linda Henrichsen said...

You voiced many common concerns in your blog. Thankfully, God walks with us as we face life's obstacles. One day at a time is all we can handle :o) Prayers going up for your brother and your family. Rest easy my friend. XOXO