Crinkled Oranges

Friday, December 18, 2009

Sugared Almonds

We just got home from our ward Christmas party.  It was a beautiful evening with great food and a wonderful program.  The nativity even had a real baby, which made it beautiful.  It reminded me of when Maisel, my cousin, told me about a nativity she remembered in Greenriver, Wyoming.  She remembered it so well because my brother Gary, who is now 72, was the baby in that nativity and that he screamed the whole time.  

Here is the Sugared Almond recipe.  It is so easy and I like it because you can make it ahead and it keeps well.

Makes 12 servings
From Martha Stewart--A favorite at Christmas

2 1/2 cups unblanched whole almonds
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Heat oven to 350°. Toast almonds for 15 minutes on a baking sheet. Line two baking pans with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine granulated sugar, 1/4 cup water, toasted almonds, and cinnamon. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar becomes golden and granular and almonds are completely coated and separated. Pour nuts onto prepared pans. Store in airtight containers for up to 1 month.

3 comments:

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

Annette- those cupcakes look delicious. Wish we lived closer and I might come steal a few. I ahve a baking question. Does your parchment paper ever smoke? It seems that when I use it in my oven it smokes. Please tell me that it's not just me?

Tom Anderson said...

Gary always did need the attention. You are back to your cupcakes--I love it.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Have copied into the to try file. I used to make smoked almonds and Trent couldn't stay out of them.