Crinkled Oranges

Friday, June 5, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies

There are several different chocolate chip cookies I like to make (and eat). I have one with oatmeal and one made with butter and coconut. But, anytime I want just a basic chocolate chip cookie, it seems I always turn to this recipe. I actually like it equally as well with m&ms.

I got this recipe from a girl I met in my BYU ward while I was in college. We had a conversation about cooking and from that arranged a date to meet at her apartment and exchange our favorite recipes. That was the only time I ever spent with her, and I don't even remember her name. I hope I shared something with her that she has used through the years like I have used this recipe.

Chocolate Chip or M&M Cookies

2/3 cups shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Mix shortening, sugar, vanilla, and egg. Add flour, soda, and salt. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 350 to 375 degrees (depending on your oven)

2 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oh, you naughty tempter. I'm trying to be OFF sugar. I'm saving your recipe for less responsible days.

If your friend didn't have the good sense to get your good recipes the rest of us did!

Misty B. said...

I've also used this recipe, that I credit to you, for years! I have passed to many friends who now call them "Misty's cookies". They are a family favorite!