Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

More on Waiting

In continuation of the waiting theme from yesterday,
I've also had to learn another kind of waiting.
Waiting to see my grandchildren.
I'm not sure I've gotten good at it,
but it's something I've had to learn.

When I was talking to a cousin not long ago,
she commented to me on a conversation we had shared.
She said that, when her son and his family
moved out of state,
it helped her to remember what I had said
about how I had needed to "change my mindset."

I didn't remember the conversation,
but it is something I often remind myself of.
When I'm with friends and discussing grandchildren
and the part we play in their lives,
they will say they don't think they could
deal with being so far away from theirs.
Invariably I will bring up that
what has helped me is just
"changing my mindset."

What does it mean to change my mindset?
I'm not sure I can explain it other than to say that
I don't dwell on the missing them part,
but rather dwell on the gratitude part.

Gratitude that I have them to love.
Gratitude that they are loved by their parents
Gratitude that they are surrounded by
grandparents and
aunts and uncles
and cousins who love them the way I do.

Gratitude that they are happy and healthy.
Gratitude that they are being raised in the gospel.
Gratitude that they are the cutest, smartest,
kindest
grandchildren on the planet.
(Sorry, no room for argument)
Gratitude that, when it comes right down to it,
I'm only a plane ride, not a lifetime, away.

So, why am I writing this?

Two reasons.
1. I want my grandchildren to know that they are in my
heart and thoughts and prayers every single day.
2. Because I don't have to wait much longer to see them
(2 1/2 weeks to be exact).

I'm so excited.
I can't wait!

5 comments:

Misty B. said...

I love it when I'm the first to comment, especially on this one because I'm excited too! I can't wait and my kids are getting very excited to see Grandma (and Grandpa!).

Pam's Place said...

Annette, you are such a wonderful example to me. I love your positive attitude and always finding the silver lining. Before we moved out here to be near our daughter and her family, somebody flew one direction or the other every month but one for close to a year, I think. The airlines loved us, like I'm sure they love you.

The anticipation of seeing them is delicious, isn't it?

tingey said...

What lucky children you have, to love someone this much and still know that they are not perfect. The great lumpy from Popeye fame once said, "I will gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger today". Go ahead Annette, pay in 2.5 weeks for the chance to see your grandkids on today! I know this make's no sence and the spelling is all wrong. Misty will correct me next time I see her.

Tiffany said...

We can't wait either! Annie asks at least 3 times a week when she will see you again and you know she wants to move in with you! I hate the waiting game too, but I'm grateful that you are so good at staying in touch with the kids. Even though we are hundreds of miles apart you make it feel like you are right next door. I mean, who else sends cupcakes in a package!!? WE love you.

Astromom said...

You are a good grandma, I am sure your grandchildren know it, and you do visit them a lot though it is hard when it can't be as frequent. Sometimes it is a blessing, I love it when my in-laws visit and actually get to live with us for their visit the kids love it.