Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Discoveries on a Walk

We went on a walk this morning, and I discovered several things. I guess discovered isn't the right word, but rather saw for myself several things.

Gary has talked about walking the switchbacks behind Timpview High School, but in all these years I've never been on them. It was very pretty to reach the top and look at the view. We passed a new playground area that has been built back from the road. I'll have to remember that next time the grand kids are here.

On our way back we stopped at Gary's Aunt Betty's house. She is amazing. She told us that she was just called as Relief Society President, and she is 81 years old! She in no way acts or looks that age. She has always been adamant about the importance of taking care of yourself. Not by extreme food choices or restrictions, but rather by exercise and keeping yourself active physically and mentally. For years I've seen her walking around town. She would often drive to a different part of town to park, and then walk and discover interesting things in that area. She's always attended plays and cultural events and volunteers down at the homeless shelter. She firmly believes that how you think in your mind affects how you feel in your body. She is a good example of living that philosophy.

While I agree that having a positive outlook definitely makes a difference in the quality of our lives, I know many positive thinking people who still have serious health problems. But, as with all aspects of life, looking for the good and positive makes all the difference in the way we handle those problems. I have such admiration for those who handle pain, disability, and trials with grace and with determination to focus on the good in their lives. I hope I can do the same.

4 comments:

duke said...

Great blog today Annette.....I walked the switch backs with Gary last week. How did you do? You worked on your blog site so I amgine you didn't die. I hope you told Betty hi from duke?

Tom Anderson said...

I love you blog photos and writings. You are an artist. Excited to see you soon. Love Tom

Misty B. said...

I agree about the artist thing! I think you've been hiding you talents of writing and photo journaling for too long! I love the view from the porch, it took me back!

Pam's Place said...

You'll have to show me the secret switchbacks -- I never knew there was anything behind Timpview HS.

And I want to grow up to be just like Aunt Betty.